Unique Job Specific Screening Questions Part 2 – Nonprofit Leadership
For those of you who read my first Unique Job Specific Screening Questions blog, then you know that many of the deal-breaker and essay questions sampled in this piece are especially common to high-volume positions for which one may recruit frequently. But what about your organization’s leadership roles? While you may not be creating these types of job listings in your applicant tracking software very often, it is still critical to identify the make-it-or-break-it questions for these high-level positions, as well.
In this follow-up, we’ll focus on the nonprofit industry. Easy-to-assign screener questions are just one of the many benefits available to not-for-profits that use technology to go paperless. A special thank you goes to Bryan Orander, Founder and President at Indianapolis-based Charitable Advisors, for sharing some of his preferred job-specific screening questions for certain key leadership roles in the nonprofit arena.
First Executive Director Screening Questions
- Tell us about your experience working with a nonprofit board of directors to help them add meaningful value to the organization and the relationship you strive to create with the board.
- Tell us about your experience and success in building relationships for fund development that could apply to this position.
- Based on either your personal knowledge of our service area or your research, what do you see as some of the greatest opportunities in our service area?
- Tell us about how you have exhibited the skills that will be needed as the First Executive Director of this organization. Consider that you would be wearing many hats and expected to work frequently at the community visioning level; and, that you would be hands-on with people, projects and paperwork while you work to grow the organization and build a staff team.
- Tell us about your experience in engaging businesses and neighbors in efforts to benefit their community…ideally, in a multicultural setting.
President Screening Questions
- Describe what you feel are the essential components of successful fundraising.
- Describe your most significant accomplishment.
- Provide an example of how you have taken on a leadership role to make our community a better place to live.
- What role could or should our organization play in making our community a world class place to live, and what initial steps would you take to make that happen?
Executive Director/CEO Screening Questions
- What fundraising approaches would you see as most important to an organization like ours, and how have you used them successfully?
- Describe how you have successfully engaged board members in sharing your organization’s story and taking ownership for raising funds.
- The Executive Director/CEO will be leading the Board’s evaluation of the organization’s current name and brand identity. Tell us how you would approach conducting such an evaluation.
If you would like to share your own ideas for screening questions for leadership positions – in any industry – please comment on this blog. We can certainly all greatly benefit from our combined collective knowledge of hiring and selection tips. For more specific information about how to leverage job-specific screening questions in your own selection process, please contact ExactHire to learn about our applicant tracking software options.