Social media. What do you envision when you hear those words? Do you immediately think of a 13 year old who is posting pictures from last weekend’s party or replying to someone’s comments about March Madness? Sometimes social media can invoke a negative connotation due to perceptions of people wasting time, situations of cyberbullying (at all ages), and “clutter” of pictures, jokes, and ads. Yes, those things do exist, but social media has a tremendous amount of perks as well. It can keep people in contact with each other throughout the world, and it can effectively promote a business. Love it or hate it—social media is here to stay, and it has a tremendous value as well…so let it be a value added concept for your company.
If your company does not use social media to promote its product, it is time to start because your company is missing out on sharing your message to a diverse audience of millions. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google+ and other platforms reach people of all ages, demographic backgrounds and geographic locations at all hours…within a click of a button on a laptop or desktop, or a finger swipe on a cell phone or tablet. Promoting your company’s product and mission through social media comes at little to no cost, so why miss out on instantaneous advertising that can reach a worldwide market?
Still on the fence about this whole social media thing? Time to jump off that fence. Of course, teens and ‘tweens are big social media users, but they are definitely not the only people. Buffer released some statistics on the growth of social media which I’ll highlight below:
- “The fastest growing demographic on Twitter is the 55-64 year age bracket.”
- In 140 characters or less, you can let your followers know what is new in your business. Are you hiring? Did you release a new product? Big news ahead? Tweet it, and go fishing because you have just thrown the bait so reel the people in!
- “The 45-54 year age bracket is the fastest growing demographic on both Facebook and Google+.”
- Google+ has integration options in many different platforms like YouTube. Google+ offers a phenomenal method of search engine optimization since Google has a huge chunk of the market. How often do you hear someone say (s)he will “Google it” when trying to look up something? Google+ content can rank in search results so the more often your company shows up positively in search results, the more interest generated by searchers. Marketing Land had a great article on the perks of Google+ that will give you more insight on this tool.
- “189 million of Facebook’s users are ‘mobile only.'”
- Is there an App for that? Is your company’s webpage mobile friendly? If not, it’s time to have your IT team take a look at making your company’s website responsive and more receptive to handheld devices used by mobile users.
- “YouTube reaches more U.S. adults aged 18-34 than any cable network.”
- Post a clip of something going on within your company or share one of your commercials. Deliver a message with your company brand and mission. Feature some employee testimonials so others can experience your company culture. No matter the content from your business, you won’t have to worry about your message getting dropped due to poor reception or it being on a subscriber-only channel.
- “Every second, two new members join LinkedIn.”
- If you have job openings, share them with your network, and your network will, in turn, share that info with their networks and those networks will share that with their networks and so on. Are you getting the big picture? The world is a big spider web where we are all interconnected one way or another. Think about it this way…if you have a job you need filled, wouldn’t it be nice to know a little about the candidate? LinkedIn profiles and networks offer that insight about candidates to companies. Along those lines, job seekers can follow your company which is another way to share your company’s messages and mission. No matter the social network platform, companies need to know one thing—even in this economically challenging time, companies are being evaluated by job seekers, too, so companies take heed: make sure your company is displayed in a visually and verbally appealing view on your social media platforms and company website.
It is not difficult to suffer from information overload with all the forms of social media that exist. With ExactHire’s HireCentric applicant tracking system to help you manage your hiring needs, you can effectively integrate your company’s hiring process in the world of social media. HireCentric also offers analytics to help you identify where your best results are coming from when you hire.
Trying to figure out how to incorporate social media into your hiring process does not have to send you offline…just visit ExactHire on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube or Google+ to connect with us, and we can help show you the way!